This scholarship program is made possible by a generous grant from Petco Love Lost.
The Missing Animal Response Network (MARN) offers training in lost pet recovery work. In 2021, MARN expanded our network by providing full Petco Love Lost scholarships for 80 volunteers willing to help recover lost pets in underserved communities across North America. In 2022, thanks to another generous grant provided by Petco Love Lost, we are recruiting cat lovers, cat rescue group volunteers, and TNR (trap-neuter-return) workers that MARN will train to offer lost cat recovery services in their community.
This training will include both 10-weeks of lost pet recovery training through our MAR Field Course (60 hours), 5-weeks of target cat selection and training, and an additional 10-weeks of training for a MAR Cat Detection Dog (approved by MARN). All of our training is offered online and does not require travel for students.
Here is a list of requirements for eligibility to submit a scholarship application.
- 1. You must be based in North America (USA or Canada).
- 2. You must live in a North American city with a population of at least 100,000 people.
- 3. You must currently have 501(c)(3) status (in USA) or Charity status (in Canada). Individuals who do not yet have nonprofit status but who’d be willing to form a nonprofit/charity are encouraged to apply.
- 4. You (or a volunteer of yours) must be willing to house and train a MAR Cat Detection Dog (dog selected must be evaluated and approved by MARN).
- 5. You (or a volunteer of yours) must be willing to house and train a MAR Target Cat (cat selected must be evaluated and approved by MARN).
- 6. You must agree to incorporate the use of Petco Love Lost’s facial recognition software in your lost pet recovery cases (you will receive training in how to use the software).
To apply, please fill out the below application which includes the submission of an essay (500 to 2,000 words) where you explain why you want to be trained in lost cat recovery work and why believe that YOU (or your team) deserve a scholarship.